Skills and Certification.
I gained my BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy from Plymouth Marjon University in 2008, before returning to Somerset to work with Mencap and special education providers. In 2019, I achieved the Cambridge English Level 5 Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA Pass A) from the University of Gloucestershire.
I have a specific interest in
Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) to support individuals with learning disabilities to maintain and develop their functional communication skills, and have 10 years’ experience working with young adults with learning disabilities who have not previously received communication support.
I am a member of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists and the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice. I am registered with the Health and Care Professions Council and have an enhanced certificate from the Disclosure and Barring Service (child and adult workforce).
Interaction Assessed Practitioner status was achieved in 2012, and I've been a registered Signalong
(key-word sign-supported spoken English) tutor since 2014. I have formal certification in the Picture
Exchange Communication System (PECS, 1) and have completed Symbol UK’s
Specialist Development Programme for SLTs Working with People Who Have Down
I am also experienced with
the following Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) tools:
- Talking mats
- Social stories
- Visual schedules / Visual timelines / Visual instructions
- Now and next / First-then
- Communication passports
- Intensive Interaction (Assessed Practitioner)
- Communication books
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS, 1)
- Key-word sign-supported spoken English systems such as Signalong, and Somerset Total Communication (Registered Signalong Tutor).
- Voice Output Communication Aids (VOCA) / Speech Generating Devices (SGDs) including Language Acquisition through Motor Planning: Words for Life (LAMP:WFL) software, and Proloquo2Go software.
Please get in touch if I can support you, your clients or
your organisation through therapy or tailored training courses.